Sunday, July 25, 2010

Purple Velvet

It has been a long time since I've made cupcakes and was so excited for a reason to make them this weekend. In honor of a friends upcoming wedding, I made purple velvet cupcakes. Well, red velvet is my favorite, but purple was one of the colors in her wedding so I decided to switch it up a bit. Now, I'm not one to make cupcake batter so I always use a box mix because decorating is more fun. I started with a red velvet mix and figured I would add blue food coloring to it. FAIL. The batter turned out maroonish. So I moved on to Plan B. I used a white cake mix, dyed it purple and added about 1.5 tbsps of unsweetened cocoa. I could have added more but the batter was starting to turn brownish. I used these white damask baking cups that I found at Michaels and they actually made about 18 cupcakes instead of 24. I topped the cupcakes with Paula Dean's cream cheese frosting and edible purple glitter. They came out great. I only wish I had made more.


Before the frosting. The batter kind of looked like poi, but tasted way better.

The finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment