Tuesday, October 26, 2010

O Ye of Little Faith

So the past two weeks I have been driving myself BONKERS trying to figure out why Liam was waking up so much in the middle of the night. I tried everything and sought help everywhere. I fed him more, I made sure he wasn't too cold, gave him Oragel, Hylands, tylenol, let him cry it out, read blogs, book... Literally just racked my brain. Then finally on Saturday night, we gave him his teething gel and Dylan and I decided we should just pray with him before bed. And guess what, it worked. He went back to sleeping 9 hours straight. Of course prayer was the last thing that I thought of. I'd been exhausting myself trying to figure it out instead of taking it to God.

The next night we prayed again. As Dylan left the room he told me he forgot to put his Hylands on his teeth so I should do it, but I was already feeding him and knew he wouldn't want to stop. I thought Oh no, he's definitely going to wake up in the middle of the night because we forgot the teething gel. And instantly was convicted. Even after seeing God answer our prayer the night before, I was still putting my faith in a little bottle of teething gel instead of the God of the universe. So I decided to not give him the teething gel. If God wanted him to sleep, he could sleep without it. And as I sat there I began thinking just even eight hours, that's all I ask. But once again, my thoughts were stopped dead in their tracks. Why was I asking God for the bare minimum? Instead of asking Him for a full 12 hours of sleep, I was settling for less. I didn't have the faith to ask God for what seemed the impossible.

So, after Liam fell asleep we asked God to allow him to sleep 12 hours. He didn't sleep 12 hours but he slept 10 1/2!! A new record. I kept waking up during the night, checking on him, but he was knocked out. And last night he slept 10 1/2 hours again. We are so thankful that God has been stretching our faith through our son. We are learning to not rely on stupid tubes of teething gel or bedtime rituals, but a God who is bigger than these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment