Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Anxious Pride

Lately, my time with God has been very few and far between. I haven't been making it a priority and there always seems to be more pressing things to do. But yesterday Dylan encouraged me to get away for 30 mins to spend some time with God. Just that little bit of uninterrupted time was so refreshing. I headed across the street to Don Pan, sat down with my Cafe con Leche and Apple Pastelito, and continued my journey through Piper's Future Grace.

The chunk that I read was about pride and how anxiety/worry are a form of pride. It sounds backwards, but it really is true. My constant worry about our finances, parenting, and future show that I do not trust God. It's like I would rather worry and try to solve life's problems myself rather than rely on God. Because relying on God would mean that I'm not in control anymore. Here's a great quote from the book:

"... pride does not like to admit that it has any anxieties. And if pride has to admit it, it still does not like to admit that the remedy might be trusting someone else who is wise and stronger. In other words, pride is a form of unbelief and does not like to trust in future grace. Faith admits the need for help. Pride won't. Faith banks on God to give help. Pride won't. Faith casts anxieties on God. Pride won't. Therefore the way to battle the unbelief of pride is to admit freely that you have anxieties, and to cherish the promise of future grace in the words, 'He cares for you'."

No comments:

Post a Comment