Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Syrup

In my attempt to save a little money this fall, I made my own pumpkin spice syrup. It's really easy and makes your house smell yummy in the process. Every fall I make one great purchase and that is Williams-Sonoma Mulling Spices. I've used it for apple cider, for spiced tea, and for pumpkin spice syrup. Here we go...



Ingredients:
1 part water/ 1 part sugar
4 tablespoons of Mulling Spices (from Williams and Sonoma)
4 tablespoons of Pumpkin Puree
Pumpkin Pie Spice
*cheese cloths or tea infuser if you have one

Since I didn't have a cheese cloth to put the spices in, I used a big tea infuser ball that I had. In order to keep it from getting sticky from the sugar, I put some extra water in the pot and let the spices sit in it for a while on medium heat. After about 15 minutes, I took the tea ball out and added the sugar and pumpkin puree, whisking until it dissolved. That simmered on low for about 10 minutes or until it was a little syrupy (sp?).

I got this bottle and funnel from the Container Store (my fav!) for under $4. It was the perfect bottle for this syrup.

The finished product. I actually made more than what this bottle could hold and had to dump some out. I think it yielded about 1 cup or more. I don't really know how long this should last, maybe 2-4 weeks in the fridge. We'll see if it lasts that long.

Here is my attempt at a Pumpkin Spice Latte. It was pretty weak because I had to use decaf espresso (boo). I'll try again with a half-caf. For the latte, I poured the syrup into the milk before I steamed it so that it could heat up with the milk. I added a couple of dashes of pumpkin pie spice to kick it up a notch. I think it could still use more of the pumpkin puree but it still tastes yummy.

1 comment:

  1. Update: Recently stopped in a Williams-Sonoma and saw that they had Pumpkin Spice Latte Syrup for $12.50. So if that's all you would get the spices for, you might as well just buy the bottle. It was about the same size as the one I made.

    ReplyDelete