Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Celebrating Advent

This year I really wanted to celebrate advent. I went out and bought a wreath and candles and downloaded some readings for each day. It started off strong but slowly fizzled out. I think I went a whole week without lighting a candle. Luckily I give myself a lot of grace these days. Even though I forgot a couple days here and there, advent has been with me everyday. This year more than ever the reality of Christ's incarnation is sinking in. As I rock Liam to sleep at night and sing him Christmas carols I can't help but think about Jesus as a baby. I think about Mary holding him and nursing him. I think about how he brought delight to them as Liam brings to Dylan and I. I think about his first steps as we try to help Liam with his. I think about his first words as Liam only grunts at us. It's all becoming very real to me. Emmanuel, God with us.

One of the songs that I've been stuck on this Advent season is O Come, O Come Emmanuel. I literally have sung this everyday. This, along with the readings, has really helped me focus on the real meaning of Christmas. Not only of the hope that Jesus was then, but the hope he is for us now.

There are like 7 stanzas, here are the four I'm most familiar with


Oh, come, oh, come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to you, O Israel!

Oh, come, our Wisdom from on high,
Who ordered all things mightily;
To us the path of knowledge show,
and teach us in her ways to go.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to you, O Israel!

Oh, come, oh, come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to you, O Israel!

Oh, come, our Wisdom from on high,
Who ordered all things mightily;
To us the path of knowledge show,
and teach us in her ways to go.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to you, O Israel!

1 comment:

  1. My dear Niece,
    Advent is an important part of the Christian Calendar and has been so for centuries. It is the Church's prophetic witness that despite the chaos, Emmanuel is with us and will come again! Your discovery of Advent confirms for me yet again that young people like yourself are finding new ways to uncover the story of their faith heritage. That is something to hold on to. Not so much denominational affiliation, but rather, heritage of faith, and putting together the old with new ways of expressing and experiencing it all.
    In our congregation we celebrate the Holy Eucharist (Communion) on Christmas Eve because Christmas is the story of the incarnation - God made flesh. So when Jesus says, "this is my body broken for you and the blood of a new covenant" we are celebrating Christmas. I invite you to discover another great ancient carol: "Love came down at Christmas" it shares the same story.

    I love you
    Titi Lydia

    ReplyDelete