Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Lately

I'm attempting to write my first blog in like 10 days. Things have been a little hectic lately. I'm sure that Liam will wake up from his nap while I'm writing this, so I'm gonna keep it short and sweet. Last week was the week of visitors. My parents, Dylan's parents, and my brother and sister-in-love all visited during different times. Let's just say that Liam wasn't lacking attention. It was so great to have lots of hands to help but yesterday was really hard to recover.

I've been keeping myself busy learning to juggle taking care of Liam, keeping my house in order, making food, and getting life organized. One of the projects that I finished this week was a peg board for the kitchen. Our apt only has 3 drawers so I had to figure out something to do with all my kitchen gadgets. It was really easy to do and only cost about $30.

All the supplies

Dylan helped with all the drilling

The final product painted green (I couldn't resist)


Every Wednesday we get together as LHS for some development. Last Wednesday we were privileged to hear from Dr. Jim Coffield. He is a counseling professor at RTS here in Orlando. His talk was good, but the Q & A afterwards was great. One of the things that he said was "Sometimes I love the story of the redemption rather than the redeemer." And that is so true of my life. I find myself loving the gospel more than the one who created it. It's so easy to get caught up in the work and the mission instead of just loving Jesus. He also touched on parenting which was exactly what I needed to hear right now. Here are a just a couple of snippets:

"Parenting is more about you being faithful then how your kids turn out. It should be measured by faithfulness, not results"
"Our sacrificing is for out behalf not our kids"
"Maybe God just wants our hearts to be broken about parenting"

This is liberating. There is no formula for having the perfect child, and it's not my job to produce the perfect child. I just need to be faithful to the charge that God has given me.


Our group listening to Dr. Coffield

1 comment:

  1. Chevy, I love your thoughts on life. And, I am seriously considering a craft project because I have no counterspace in my apartment! I bet you've got ideas.

    It's crazy to think about loving Jesus and not His story. I think sometimes it's just tough to do (I hate to say), because it's so difficult to get a grip of who Jesus is as a person and as God. I don't know about you, but for me, learning Jesus the person feels like holding water in my hands most days, you know?

    ReplyDelete