Monday, September 8, 2014

Numbers


Book: Ten Black Dots - Donald Crews
Activity: Number sorting with beads. You need 10 paper or styrofoam bowls, and large beads
Art: Imagination play with black dots. Cut out 10 black circles and let them create something with them (like a scene from the book).
Food: Domino Snack. I'm thinking a graham cracker covered with marshmallow fluff and chocolate chips for dots. You could do a healthier version with nut butter and raisins.
Music: 10 Little Numbers. I grew up singing a non-PC version of this song. 1, 2, 3, 4 by the Plain White T's. This is just a fun song to sing.



Counting with coffee beans. It was actually her idea to use the bean as I was just going to find any random thing lying around the house. I think that this is best for her age 2 1/2 - 3 since she is really just learning to recognize numbers and quantities.

When big brother got home from school he wanted to join in on the fun. It was super easy for him.

After reading the book Ten Black Dots, I cut out ten dots for each of them and had them create whatever they wanted like in the book. My super creative son chose to recreate the cover of the book. We are working on his imagination.

Once she saw him making his picture, like any true little sister, she wanted to do the same thing.
 
I finally convinced him to do something different on his next page. This time he chose to create cars racing.

We did make a domino snack but that didn't last long enough to take a picture of. And I also realized that my kids didn't really know what dominoes were, so the snack meant nothing to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment