Monday, July 11, 2011

Eventless Planner

During our year in Orlando, we had the opportunity to do a lot of assessment tests to see where our skills and strengths are. It turns out my skills are planning, organizing, and creating. While we were considering our future and Dylan was leaning towards leaving staff and doing graphic design, I kind of freaked out because that meant that I would have to get a job. And I had no idea what I would be good out. But after going through these tests I thought, Hey I think I would be good at event planning. It's something that I'm interested in and excites me. Thankfully God lead us down another road, to a future that is much more rewarding.

However, I find that event planning is something that still lingers in me. I'm always thinking of party plans, watching wedding shows, looking up ideas online, etc. But I am planning events for no one. I have a bookmark tab that is full of websites, but I've never been able to use them. As I added another website to my list, I started to worry if I would every have the opportunity to throw someone a shower, plan a wedding, or a birthday party. No one has ever asked me and I feared that no one will. As I shared my disappointment with Dylan, he told me the simplest things, "Go to God with it". I've been incredibly blessed to have a husband that is fully saturating himself in the gospel and is able to speak hopeful truth to me. He assured me that if God gave me these skills and desires, that he had a purpose in them. Maybe I will be able to use them in different ways.

As I write this, I feel like it may come across as something very trivial. But anyone who has been passionate about doing something but can't figure out how to make it come to be will sympathize with me. If only I had the money I would just throw awesome parties for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment